Tonight’s quick meal: Black beans with pineapple and rice bowl… Maybe not the prettiest of dishes in world… But oh so… satisfying…Mmmmmmm!
This dish is very easy and pretty quick to make and the ingredients tend to be the simple/staple items you may have in your cupboard as a vegan (well, for our family!).
- 1½ cups of white rice (or 2 microwave/boil pkts – this made enough for 3 x bowls)
- Can or fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 carton/can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- orange/red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red or white onion
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tsp/pinch of garlic salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon to taste
- Start with preparing and cooking the rice (especially if steaming).
- Pour the pineapple juice into the rice bowl to approx. 1 cup (if you have less, you can add some cold water to top it up – but not too much to dilute it).
- When rice is ready, add to the juice bowl to and let the rice marinade/steep.
- Melt the margarine in a large frying pan and cook the pepper and onions gently over medium heat.
- Stir in the black beans.
- Stir in the chopped pineapple (keep on low-medium heat).
- Pour in the rice with juice. Stir and cook for approx. 3 more minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve into bowls – you could add a little sprinkle of fresh cilantro if you have some to hand.
This recipe made at least 3 decent-sized bowls…We had 2 x bowls tonight and I saved the remainder (I would estimate (approx. 1 and ¼ bowls left) in the fridge, ready to add to some salad leaves for a cold salad lunch tomorrow!
- If you like your pineapple a little well-cooked and crunchy: Add it a little earlier, after adding the onions and bell peppers.
- If you prefer your pineapple raw: Just add over the top of the rice and beans, once ready in their serving bowls. (As it can be a bit of a smudgy-looking meal: this can make it more visually appealing!).
I also found a few good versions of this meal online as well as in my many recipe books, all having slight differences in ingredients etc. to this. I will add links to this space shortly.
We LOVE this quick and easy meal…So satisfying on a cold grey day! Makes me dream of Hawaii! Aloha 🙂